Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Surgery Day in Pictures

Alex and I left the house at 4:30 in the morning to get to the hospital in time. Here's a picture of the two of us just before we went upstairs to check-in.


At registration were all the people (and their family members/friends) who were scheduled for surgery that day. We had to give them our name and then sit in the waiting area. This area was very large with chairs/tvs/couches. Once we were called up, they asked more questions to finish out the paperwork.

This is a picture of us with the intake nurse.



Then they took us back to the pre-op area. There was a room that we went in that was set up for kids. The nurse asked lots of questions, got Alex his little bracelet, asked more questions, more people came in (Physician's Assistant, Anesthesiologist, others who just wanted to see the cute baby!), those people asked more questions, etc. Alex was really good through all of this. I really expected him to be very upset since he couldn't eat at all that day. I think there were just a lot of things to look at.

(please don't pay attention to me in any of these pictures!!)



Then the OR nurse came to get him for surgery. They were very nice. They had a couple blankets that were warmed up so he was very comfy.





We then went back out to the big waiting room to....wait. :) About 2 hours later we were told that they were just finishing up the surgery and about 15 minutes after that, we were taken back to the recovery room. It was very nice that they let us go back to recovery. He was just waking up from the sedation and he was NOT happy!!!



He would sleep for a little bit, then wake up screaming and then go back to sleep. Coming out of the sedation is very hard and can be very confusing for the little ones. It didn't take him long to open his eyes and start looking around. I really have no idea how long we were in the room. I think it was for quite a bit. The nurses were monitoring him to make sure that his vital signs were good.
They then started trying to give him some Pedialyte by syringe. He did really well with it. I'm sure he was hungry and thirsty which helped.
After the nurses were comfortable with his vitals and that he had taken in liquid and it was going to stay in his stomach, they got us ready to transport up to his room. They had me hold him and ride in a wheelchair. Here's a picture with the Post-Op Nurses.

Once we got to the room, I continued to hold him in a rocking chair. We sat in the rocking chair until about 3:00. (we both slept on and off) At about 3:00 we moved to the hospital bed. That was much more comfortable for me. I either held him in my arms, or had him propped on a pillow between my legs. Alex slept a lot. (although not for very long at one time) When he would wake up, we would try giving him formula.
At around 6:00 we started having problems with his IV. (he was getting fluids through the IV) It basically came out of his hand. As long as he continued to eat ok, we wouldn't have to put it back in. (and luckily he did eat!!)
Krystal (the woman who brought Alex on the plane to the US) came to visit us. It was nice to see her and catch up. Alex was happy to see her.
At about 8:00 they told us that we could go home if we wanted to. I decided to stay at the hospital as it was getting late. He did ok throughout the night although he didn't sleep for more then 45 minutes at a time.
Dr. Moore stopped by at 6:30 in the morning. He looked at his lip and said that everything looked good. We got discharged soon after that.
He's done well today. He really likes the swing, and is actually in the exersaucer right now. He has tried to smile and laugh a few times which I think is a good sign.
We got through it!! Everyone at the hospital was extremely nice - and they all fell in love with Alex.
As you see the pictures of the next couple of days, please don't feel bad if you don't like what you see. I'm having a hard time adjusting to what he looks like (and I got lots of warnings about this). I miss his old face!! And it doesn't help any that he is so swollen, and has so much dried blood on his face. As the swelling goes down over the next few weeks, we will get a better idea of what his new face is going to look like.
You have a great little guy - who is a real trooper!!

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

KIm, I'm glad to hear everything went well and you both are doing fine! Try to get you some rest when you can because I'm sure you'll need it in the days to come with both the little ones moving about!!
HUGS
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Krystal said...

Great pics of the big day!!! Alex is such an amazing and tough little guy! His lip looks beautiful :)

Mindy said...

We are glad he is doing so well! He looks really good after the surgery.

Kelly said...

I forgot about the dried blood, seems like it takes forever for it all to go away but it will. You will be used to his new mouth in no time and will have to look at pictures to remember the old lip. I promise! I hope he starts sleeping better soon and your Alex feels better too! You have your hands full.

Faithful Froggers said...

Found your site through Sarah and just wanted to let you know that I am praying for Alex! I am so glad the surgery went well and you are home! His little face has touched my heart.

Alleen said...

Sounds like he is doing awesome!!!!

Jennifer said...

Awww! He looks so precious! They did such an amazing job. I am praying that he will begin to rest a little more. It must have been so scary!!

Great pictures!!!

Laurie said...

What a blessing he made it thru wonderfully! Thanks so much for keeping us up to date. I can't wait for his parents to hear the wonderful news!

Sarah said...

What a great recap, Kim! Glad you are home... I hope that the familiarity will help him sleep better tonight. What great pictures of the experience and a great journal for him to have someday!

You are awesome! I hope big Alex is feeling better too!!

Soltana said...

I'm glad he's doing so well.

What a great job you're doing with him. Maybe he'll sleep better since he's out of the hospital. I hope so.

Hugs to you all