Thursday, May 22, 2008

Meeting with the Surgeon

Today was the day to go to the Surgeon. We got started early.

Here is Alex in his car seat. It's the law in the United States that all kids have to ride in car seats. If they are under a year old, they have to ride backwards in the car!



Here we are waiting in the Surgeon's office


Here is Alex with Dr. Moore. I thought I got a better picture of his face. He seems like a very nice person, and is very confident that Alex will have a great surgery.


Here's a picture of Alex with Jody. Jody is the President of COTA and does AMAZING things to get lots of kids the help that they need. Jody went with me to the surgeon's office today.

Because Alex is so healthy, it looks like we can get surgery scheduled very soon. We hope to hear from the nurse tomorrow when it will be scheduled. (but I'm thinking it will be within the next couple of weeks!!)

I found out that he will probably spend one night in the hospital (I will stay with him). He will then be fed by a syringe for a week while the stitches heal. One week after surgery, we will take him back to have his stitches taken out and then he should be able to go back to the bottle.

He also started a rash today across his body. I've already talked to the doctor and they had me stop his antibiotics for right now. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but I'm going to take him into the doctor tomorrow so they can determine if it's a reaction to the medicine, or just a virus. He's sleeping right now, and ate just fine today. Please don't worry about the rash - I don't think it's a big deal, but we will get it checked out.

He's really rolling over and starting to push himself up. I don't think it will be much longer before he may be crawling.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad the appointment went well! And I love how you are explaining the carseat to Gloria and Manuel! I am sure they will appreciate it! You should print out each post into a book for them when Alex is able to go home!

Krystal said...

I hope that they can schedule the surgery very soon so that Alex does not have to stay away from home very long. He is so adorable!

JuJu - said...

Great News about the surgery:)

I know his Momma misses him so much, if only she knew how blessed he got with YOU:)

Kelly said...

The syringe feeding is no big deal, we had to do it for 2 weeks with Parker. She was a tummy sleeper so we let her sleep in her swing durning that time, she had be on her back. Let me pass on the warning we did not get, they will put arm braces on him to keep him from messing with the lip. We were not prepared for that at all. Our little Hodini could get out of them at 10 weeks old. I am so excited for you all. It is amazing what the surgeons can do! Keep us posted please.